[FieldTrip] Set regularization parameter after SSS

Matti Stenroos matti.stenroos at aalto.fi
Tue Aug 21 15:16:23 CEST 2018

Hi Vladimir, Robert,

Thanks for your input!

I've been playing with linear estimates & SSS-processed data. Based on
my experience, I agree with Vladimir that dropping the rank to 60--70
(depending on the number of max filter coeffs etc) is the way to go. If
whitening (via noise covariance matrix) is used, some regularization to
the whitener is probably appropriate.

I don't have strong opinion regarding "only gradiometers" or
"gradio+magneto". I'd say there is no general answer; rather it depends
on what kind on inverse method you apply = how you use your data there.
In resolution analysis of minimum-norm estimates, the difference is small.

Data fusing = sensor scaling should not be that difficult; pre-weighting
the data with 1/sqrt(mvars), where mvars has mean noise/data variances
per sensotype. But, as the Max reconstructs all data using the same
multipole series with ~64 components, rank will not really increase ---
if there has been 64 max filter components, useful ranks of
magnetometers, gradiometers, and the whole MEG are of the order of 60--64.

Cheers,
   Matti