[FieldTrip] strange observations using ICA

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Aug 10 11:40:06 CEST 2018

Dear Immo,

I understand your concern with respect to filtering, but replacing original recordings with linear combinations of all channels (which you essentially do with the ICA decomposition/backprojection) is also potentially harmful, and possible more harmful than careful filtering.

Anecdotally, if your artifact is a clear line in the spectrum, it is actually often better to notch it out (with an as narrow as possible filter) if you aim to estimate quantities like spectrally resolved Granger, using non-parametric factorization. If you don’t do this, the spectra typically look strange.

If you consider to go for more ‘straightforward’ frequency resolved methods, which rely on FFTs without a subsequent introduction of across-frequency bin dependencies of the local estimates (which is what happens with the spectral factorization), I wouldn’t be worried about the 130 Hz artifact (and only refrain from interpreting any result at that frequency).

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs