[FieldTrip] strange observations using ICA

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 9 10:16:14 CEST 2018

Dear Immo,

While I don't have a clear-cut answer, I could imagine that something
like the following is going on. The ICA decomposition is never
perfect, and the isolation of individual components will get worse
with decreasing component power. So, as you say, removing the first
few components might indeed decrease the artifactual power, but at
some point removing components that have a clear 130 Hz peak might end
up instead *adding* 130 Hz power into channels for which the component
weight is nonzero (but which, in a perfect decomposition, should have
been zero). (I'm not sure I'm explaining this well enough; in any
case, the key is to keep in mind that ICA is simply a linear
projection of the data.)

Since you say that the artifact has very well-defined spectral
characteristics, might it not be simpler and more effective to use a
band-stop filter to take out 129-131 Hz (and similarly for the
harmonics)?

Hope that helps,
Best,
Eelke