[FieldTrip] ft_sourceinterpolate question

Bear, Joshua Joshua.Bear at childrenscolorado.org
Thu Apr 26 08:01:28 CEST 2018

Hi all,

It occurs to me that using ft_sourceinterpolate to decrease, rather than increase, the dimensions is not intuitive, and I found that it was actually fairly easy to get the Gorden et al. atlas loaded in as they provide an MNI-registered form of the atlas. So I repeated my steps using the selected atlas and with a smaller headmodel and leadfield resulting in a source file that had to be interpolated in the more anticipated direction. The problem persists, however.

I now have connectivity results with the following pertinent values:
          dim: [18 15 15]
          pos: [4050×3 double]
    cohspctrm: [4050×4050 double]
       dimord: 'pos_pos_freq'

My atlas has the following pertinent values:
            dim: [61 73 61]
      transform: [4×4 double]
         brick0: [61×73×61 uint16]
    brick0label: {1×333 cell}

The results of interpolating my connectivity source to the atlas lead to the same peculiar asymmetry in the cohspctrm results:
          dim: [61 73 61]
    transform: [4×4 double]
       inside: [61×73×61 logical]
    cohspctrm: [271633×4050 double]
          pos: [271633×3 double]

And as the whole point is to then use ft_sourceparcellate, I found that this carries over the asymmetrical results of the interpolation with the following source values after parcellation:
               freq: 9.9340
              label: {1×333 cell}
          cohspctrm: [333×4050 double]
      brainordinate: [1×1 struct]
                cfg: [1×1 struct]

As you can see, the first dimension of the cohspctrm results increased from 4050 to 271633 with interpolation and then decreased to 333, the number of parcels in my chosen atlas, exactly as I would have expected. The second dimension, however, did not budge from its initial 4050. The interpolation step is necessary to ensure the source matches the atlas (FT throws an error otherwise).

Could this be a bug in ft_sourceinterpolate and ft_sourceparcellate, or is there some crucial step such as converting everything into another format that I am missing?

Thanks again and sorry for the serial messages,
Josh