[FieldTrip] reading in and preprocessing gtec_mat data

Louisa Bogaerts bog.louisa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 22:01:53 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

In the lab or Dr. Landau we recently started using a *g.tech EEG setup* and
*Simulink* record the data. We used the newest version of Fieldtrip to try
analyze the data.

Simulink outputs the data as a .mat file (an example here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xgio9w81qx94bq/example.mat?dl=0), and according
to the fieldtrip documentation this data format should now be supported: e.g.,
https://github.com/fieldtrip/fieldtrip/blob/master/fileio/ft_read_data.m,
lines 274-276:

if any(strcmp(dataformat, {'bci2000_dat', 'eyelink_asc', 'gtec_mat',

'gtec_hdf5', 'mega_neurone'}))

However, it seems that multiple Fieldtrip functions are “looking” for a
header file that is not found.

-   When reading in the data with ft_read_data() we get the following error
messages (whereas simply loading them with load() works fine):

Error using ft_notification (line 340)

unsupported header format "matlab"

Error in ft_error (line 39)

  ft_notification(varargin{:});

Error in ft_read_header (line 2325)

        ft_error('unsupported header format "%s"', headerformat);

Error in ft_read_data (line 200)

  hdr = ft_read_header(filename, 'headerformat', headerformat, 'chanindx',

  chanindx, 'checkmaxfilter', checkmaxfilter);

- The same error messages show when using ft_preprocessing().

Does anyone have experience reading in and preprocessing gtech_mat data and
can he/she help us understand how to save the header info so that fieldtrip
can read it and recognise the data as gtec_mat?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Louisa, Omri & Flor