[FieldTrip] SPM12 for segmentation and (inverse) normalization

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:36:43 CEST 2017

Dear Sarang and Jan-Mathijs,

Thanks a lot. I am now able (after updating FT, which now includes SPM12 in
/external), to use SPM12 for segmentation of my template and my subject
MRI, by using cfg.spmversion = 'spm12'. 12 is definitely is a big
improvement over 8 when it comes to brain-segmentation, which now does not
require individual treatments anymore. It also outputs more compartments
which gives me a little bit more to work with when dealing with scans that
have bad delineation of the scalp for normalization.

Pleas note that defaults seems to differ - some FT functions default to
spm8, others to spm12.

In fact, FT still reverts to spm8 in ft_volumenormalise when called in
ft_prepare_sourcemodel, even when calling the latter with cfg.spmversion =
'spm12'. In other words the cfg.spmversion is not passed along.

Best wishes and thanks again!
Stephen