[FieldTrip] dimord single-trial source data

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Nov 16 14:31:53 CET 2017

Hi Stephen,

I think that it is currently not possible to pass the output of ft_sourceanalysis to ft_freqanalysis directly, since ft_freqanalysis expects channel-level type data in the input.
The exact details of the computation depend a bit on the amount of RAM you have, and on what exactly you want to achieve.

If it’s your intention to generate frequency spectra for many dipole locations (e.g. >1000 or so) I would consider the following:

- compute spatial filters (cfg.keepfilter = ‘yes’);
- use a for-loop across (chunks of) dipole locations to create ‘virtual channel data’, by premultiplying the sensor-level data.trial (loop across trials) with the location specific spatial filter.
- stuff all this into a data-structure that looks like a raw data structure;
- pass this to ft_freqanalysis

Alternatively, you could consider using a parcellation approach, if you think it makes sense to reduce the number of spatial locations a bit, although theoretically it should be possible to create a parcellation that consists of just a single dipole per parcel. In this context, you could look into the inner workings of ft_sourceparcellate, which returns a data structure that ft_freqanalysis can work with. Whether ft_sourceparcellate can swallow single trial source data, I am not sure.

Best wishes,

JM