[FieldTrip] source statistics - spm_bwlabel error

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon May 29 09:52:04 CEST 2017

Hi Malgorzata,

Could you try to add the original ‘tri’ field to each of your varargins, and check whether the problem persists?

Thanks,
Jan-Mathijs

On 26 May 2017, at 11:52, Malgorzata Wislowska <malgorzata.wislowska at gmail.com<mailto:malgorzata.wislowska at gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear Julian,

thank you very much for your prompt response.

Yes, my numdims == 2 because my cfg.dim == [8196 1]
which comes from ft_sourcestatistics.m (code lines 131-132)
datdim = find(~strcmp(dimtok, 'subj') & ~strcmp(dimtok, 'rpt') & ~strcmp(dimtok, 'rpttap'));
datsiz = dimsiz(datdim);
calculated on the following input data:
varargin{1}:
       cfg: [1x1 struct]
    inside: [8196x1 logical]
       pos: [8196x3 double]
      time: 0.1750
       pow: [8196x1 double]
    dimord: 'chan_time'
The above source level structure comes from ft_sourceanalysis calculated with cfg.method = 'mne'.

Averaging over time unfortunately doesn't help - the same error continues to occur:
But data that is not averaged over time has numdims == 2 too, because length(cfg.dim) == 2, even though that cfg.dim itself is different (for not averaged data it's e.g cfg.dim == [8196 61], whereas for averaged data it's cfg.dim == [8196 1]),

It helps (well, the function runs through without errors and produces some output) if the line:
if numdims == 2 || numdims == 3 % if 2D or 3D data
gets replaced with:
if numdims == 3
In clusterstat.m, code line: 318 (and also 269, 215, 184)

Do you (or anybody else) have maybe any better idea how to fix it?

Thanks and best regards,
Malgorzata,
University Salzburg

Subject: Re: [FieldTrip] source statistics - spm_bwlabel error

Dear Malgorzata,

from a quick glance, it appears that in the call to spm_bwlabel "numdims" should be 3 to give you 2*numdims = 6.
So, could you check what numdims is in your case?
I suspect that you have 4-dimensional data (time by 3 spatial dimensions), so it might help to check where the dimensions are coming from and what happens if you average over time.

Good luck,

Julian