[FieldTrip] Incorrect BEM leadfields

Klink-3, N.E.C. van N.vanKlink-2 at umcutrecht.nl
Thu May 4 17:05:18 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I am trying SAM beamformer on EEG data, but the results I get are strange. I found out that my BEM model is probably the cause of this, because the leadfields obtained by the model look scattered, see figure. (Black dot is one dipole location, around the head are 60 EEG electrodes with leadfield value for that dipole.) This is the optimum leadfield at optimum orientation as calculated in beamformer_sam. The three original orientations look scattered as well.

When I make a similar figure with concentric spheres, the leadfield looks like a dipolar field, as expected. When I make the figure for the simultaneously measured MEG, with the same BEM, the leadfield also looks good. (Probably because MEG doesn't care so much about the headmodel.)

I have created my BEM with OpenMEEG (in Windows), BEMcp gives similar results. The meshes look fine to me, and changing the number of vertices to [3000 3000 3000] does not help. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Nicole

Some code:
%make headmodel
cfg                = [];
cfg.output         = {'brain' 'skull' 'scalp'};
seg = ft_volumesegment(cfg, MRI);

%create mesh
cfg        = [];
cfg.method = 'projectmesh';
cfg.numvertices     = [1000 1500 3000];
cfg.tissue          = {'scalp','skull','brain'};
mesh = ft_prepare_mesh(cfg,segi);

% compute the subject's headmodel/volume conductor model
cfg                = [];
cfg.method         = 'openmeeg';
cfg.tissue          = {'brain' 'skull' 'scalp'};
vol                = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, mesh);
vol = ft_convert_units(vol,'cm');

%create grid
cfg                 = [];
cfg.grid.pos        = load([ptfile filesep pts]);  % predetermined grid positions in mm
cfg.grid.pos        = cfg.grid.pos./10; %make unit = cm
cfg.headmodel       = vol;
cfg.moveinward      = 0.01; %check if all grid points are inside the brain
grid = ft_prepare_sourcemodel(cfg);

% Create leadfields
hdr                  = ft_read_header('data.fif');
cfg                  = [];
cfg.elec             = hdr.elec;  % electrode positions
cfg.headmodel        = vol;
cfg.grid             = grid;
cfg.channel          = {'EEG', '-EEG043', '-EEG036'};
cfg.normalize        = 'column';
lf                   = ft_prepare_leadfield(cfg);

% beamformer
cfg=[];
cfg.method = 'sam';
cfg.senstype = 'EEG';
cfg.grid = lf;
cfg.headmodel = vol;
cfg.sam.lambda = '5%';
cfg.sam.meansphereorigin = 1; %unused but necessary to not crash the script
cfg.sam.fixedori = 'robert';
source = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, timelock);

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onterecht
ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en de afzender direct
te informeren door het bericht te retourneren. Het Universitair Medisch
Centrum Utrecht is een publiekrechtelijke rechtspersoon in de zin van de W.H.W.
(Wet Hoger Onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek) en staat geregistreerd bij
de Kamer van Koophandel voor Midden-Nederland onder nr. 30244197.

Denk s.v.p aan het milieu voor u deze e-mail afdrukt.

This message may contain confidential information and is intended exclusively
for the addressee. If you receive this message unintentionally, please do not
use the contents but notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. University
Medical Center Utrecht is a legal person by public law and is registered at
the Chamber of Commerce for Midden-Nederland under no. 30244197.