[FieldTrip] ft_volumereslice rotates the brain, how to fix?

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Mar 7 09:17:50 CET 2017

Hi Andrew,

What’s the point in doing the second, headshape based alignment? I suppose that the template electrode positions are defined in a different coordinate system than ‘spm’?
If so, be aware that probably these template positions do not nicely match the reconstructed headsurface from the template MRI, so you need to do the headshape based alignment by hand, since the automatic icp algorithm probably will get caught in an inappropriate local minimum. As long as you don’t rotate around the z-axis, I would assume that the ‘rotation’ would go away.

Note, that the rotation of the image itself (as per ft_volumereslice) is not the problem, but the fact that it is rotated probably is, because that suggest that your coregistration between anatomy and electrodes does not make sense.

J.M.Schoffelen, MD PhD
Senior Researcher, VIDI-fellow - PI, language in interaction
Telephone: +31-24-3614793
Physical location: room 00.028
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Nijmegen, The Netherlands