[FieldTrip] Neighbouring issue with ft_timelockstatistics

D.Akarca da434 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 17:16:35 CET 2017

Dear all,

My name is Danyal Akarca, I’m a Master’s student working at Cambridge University, working at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit.
I’m currently working on some MEG data analysis, using ft_timelockstatistics and ft_clusterplot to determine clustering of neuromag magnetometers for task-related data.

My neighbouring function is defined as follows:
cfg                           = [];
cfg.method              = ‘distance’;
cfg.neighbourdist    = 0.13;
cfg.template            = ‘neuromag306mag_neighb’;
cfg.layout                = ‘NM306mag.lay’
cfg.channel             = ‘all'
neighbours              = ft_prepare_neighbours(cfg, MagGM_Control_Deviant); % The input data here is one of the grand means computed with ft_timelockgrandaverage

This provides me with an average of 5.5 neighbours per channel, and upon inspection with ft_neighbourplot, it looks very reasonable.

I then went on to compute statistics, using ft_timelockstatistics as follows

cfg                           = [];
cfg.channel             = ‘all’;
cfg.neighbours        = neighbours;
cfg.latency              = [0.1 0.54]
cfg.method             = ‘montecarlo’;
cfg.randomization  = 1000;
cfg.correctm           = ‘cluster’;
cfg.correctail           = ‘prob’;
cfg.ivar                    = 1;
cfg.uvar                   = 2;
cfg.statistic              = ‘ft_statfun_depsamplesT’;
Nsub                        = 14;
cfg.design(1,1:2*Nsub) = [ones(1,Nsub) 2*ones(1,Nsub)]
cfg.design(2,1:2*Nsub)= [1:Nsub 1:Nsub];

stat = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg, cw{:}, cw1{:}) % cw and cw1 are cells containing my files

When I run this, i obtain 52 positive clusters and 100 negative clusters, of which 6 negative clusters are significant.

However, I have realised that this assumed that each channel is an independant cluster? These 6 ‘clusters’ are very close to each other when plotted using ft_clusterplot,
so I thought that actually this should be 1 big cluster rather than 6 independant clusters very close to each other.

So I therefore added

cfg.minnbchan = 2;

However, when I do this, it says there are 0 clusters generated at all.
This occurs no matter how large I make cfg.neighbourdist (even when I make it so that each magnetometer is neighbours with every other neighbour, I still get no clusters forming).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or could help me with this?
I am still new to FieldTrip so any help would be very much appreciated. I hope that I’ve included all the relevant information above required.

All the best,
Danyal Akarca
MPhil Neuroscience, Cambridge University
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit