[FieldTrip] Precisions on DICS beamforming on EEG data and normalisation

Marc Lalancette marc.lalancette at sickkids.ca
Tue Mar 14 17:46:50 CET 2017

Hi Michel-Pierre,

Regarding question 2, I'm mostly familiar with LCMV, and I can't remember exactly how DICS works, but I would guess normalization approaches have the same properties in both.  (Please someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.)  One great reference for LCMV beamformer in general, and normalization in particular, is the book by Sekihara and Nagarajan.  For a scalar beamformer, yes normalizing the leadfield ("array-gain") will correct depth bias, but I find these absolute values harder to interpret.  Dividing instead by projected noise ("unit-noise-gain") also corrects depth bias, and has better spatial resolution.  For a vector beamformer, things get a bit more complicated as the "array-gain" and "unit-noise-gain" vector formulae in that book are not rotationally invariant and I would not recommend using them.  (See my recent post: https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2017-March/011390.html)  Fieldtrip does not by default use these normalizations, but I also haven't seen an analysis of (or had time to investigate much) how its vector beamformer normalization approach fares in terms of bias and resolution compared to others.  Maybe it exists somewhere?  Sorry if it's not a very practical answer...

Cheers,

Marc Lalancette
Lab Research Project Manager, Research MEG
The Hospital for Sick Children, Diagnostic Imaging, Room S742
555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8
416-813-7654 x201535