[FieldTrip] RMS calculation

Wong-Barnum, Mona mona at sdsc.edu
Thu Jun 29 18:08:33 CEST 2017

Yes, thank you very much Casper!

cheers,
Mona

On Jun 28, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Casper Kerren <CXK699 at student.bham.ac.uk<mailto:CXK699 at student.bham.ac.uk>> wrote:

Hi Mona,

I guess you want to measure the fluctuation in the data.
If for example you have your data in a channel-time-trial structure, you can get the RMS over electrodes by using the following:
AvgChan = squeeze(sqrt(mean(data.^2, 1)));   (Just change the dimension you want to calculate it over).
You will then get a measure per time-trial point.
If you check that against the rms(data,1) you see that you get the same answer.

I don’t know about a rms function in fieldtrip, but detrended fluctuation analysis involves RMS, so maybe you can start looking there.

I hope this helped you a bit.

Kind regards,

Casper

    Mona Wong