[FieldTrip] Bipolar visualisation on continuous data

Emilie Caspar ecaspar at ulb.ac.be
Mon Jun 5 10:46:57 CEST 2017

Dear community,

My name is Emilie Caspar and I am currently a postdoctoral researcher. In my study, I have to check that my participants did not move their fingers during the task. To do so, I used two external electrodes (namely, EX3 and EX4) to record muscular activity. I would need to inspect my data visually on continuous data after a bipolar montage between these two electrodes.

I first tried to use appenddata but it is not convenient for what I am looking. Then, I tried to use ft_lateralized but, if I am right, it’s for averaged data, which is not my case since I need to check continuous data. I finally tried cfg.operation but I am not sure if why I am doing is correct for the purpose I have. In addition, I have an error indicating that This function requires unknown data as input.

cfg         = [];
cfg.dataset = 'P4_IB_2.bdf';
cfg.preproc.hpfilter        = 'yes';
cfg.preproc.hpfreq          = 10;
cfg.channel                 = {'EX3', 'EX4'};
E1 = 'EX3'
E2 = 'EX4'
cfg.operation = 'E1-E2';
data = ft_math(cfg, E1, E2);
cfg.ylim                    = [-150 150];
cfg.blocksize               = 5;
cfg.viewmode                = 'butterfly';
ft_databrowser(cfg, data);

I would strongly appreciate if some of you had some recommandations about what is the best method that I could use or, if using cfg.operation is the best method, how I could solve the error message.

Thank you in a dance for your time!

Best,

Emilie