[FieldTrip] how to segment continuous EEG data without triggers

Fujiwara, Hisako Hisako.Fujiwara at cchmc.org
Thu Jul 27 19:00:15 CEST 2017

Dear experts,

I have continuous EEG data in EDF format that does not include trigger channel. These EEG data was recorded as EEG-fMRI during a task (30-sec baseline and 30-sec active trial alternated 4 or 5 times depending on participants). I would like to segment out the active states 4 x 30-sec segments for each participants. Now, I have the separate marker files that have 2 sec TR trigger as a text (EV2) file. I can at least tell start  and finish for each trial from the marker file. I have tired to use ft_definetrial and ft_redefinetri with function of cfg.toilim = [tmin tmax] but I am getting error message either:

1. undefined function or variable 'data'

2. Error using ft_notification (line 314)

This function requires raw+comp or raw data as input.

Error in ft_error (line 39)

  ft_notification(varargin{:});

Error in ft_checkdata (line 495)

    ft_error('This function requires %s data as input.', str);

Error in ft_redefinetrial (line 117)

data = ft_checkdata(data, 'datatype', {'raw+comp', 'raw'}, 'feedback', cfg.feedback);

I tried to refer the http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/reference/ft_definetrial and also searched through the mailing archives but I have not found exact solution so fat.

but I ma not really succeeding this. I am sure I am missing a lot of functions for that. Could you please kindly suggest any detailed explanation and solution for this?

Thank you very much for your kind help in advance,

Sincerely,

Hisako