[FieldTrip] vtpm atlas contains no right IPS5

Anne Urai anne.urai at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:38:59 CEST 2017

Dear Fieldtrippers,

I'm using the VTPM atlas to define masks for all the visual regions
described in the paper (Wang et al. 2014,
https://academic.oup.com/cercor/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/cercor/bhu277).
However, there seem to be no entries corresponding to the left IPS5.

*% load atlas*
*atl = ft_read_atlas('~/Documents/fieldtrip/vtpm/vtpm.mat');*
*atl = ft_convert_units(atl, 'cm');*

*% add mni coordinates*
*[ax, ay, az] = voxelcoords(atl.dim, atl.transform);*
*atl.pos = [ax(:) ay(:) az(:)];*

*% make a binary mask for this ROI*
*roi_idx     = find(strcmp(lower(atl.tissuelabel), 'IPS5'));*
*roi_mask = ismember(atl.tissue, roi_idx);*

*% mask the voxels on the right side of the brain*
*rightidx = find(atl.pos(:, 1) > 0); *
*roi_mask(rightidx) = 0;*

Now, sum(roi_mask(:)) = 0. This procedure of separating out the left and
right regions works fine for all other regions in the atlas, as well as the
right IPS5.

The description on http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/template/atlas says "The
version of the atlas included with FieldTrip was created by transforming
data into standardized space using surface-based anatomical registration
approaches." Is there any information available on the exact code that was
used to go from this original file
http://scholar.princeton.edu/napl/resources to the mat-file in FieldTrip,
so that I can check where in the process the left IPS5 gets lost?

Thanks!

—
Anne E. Urai, MSc
PhD student | Institut für Neurophysiologie und Pathophysiologie
Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf | Martinistrasse 52, 20246 |
Hamburg, Germany
www.anneurai.net / @AnneEUrai