[FieldTrip] FT_REGRESSCONFOUND: usage on other confounds in data

Arjen Stolk a.stolk8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:00:44 CET 2017

Dear Zita,

The short answer is yes, as you guessed already. Ideally, the confound is
measured independently from the dependent measure, e.g. eye tracker
activity to filter against eye movement related confounds in neural
activity. But in the past we've also successfully regressed out eye
movement related contributions as captured with EOG from frontal
(source-reconstructed) neural activity, despite that both signals may have
been partially correlated due to field spread. See 'General assessments of
neurophysiologic data' & Fig S3 of this pdf:
http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2013/08/16/1303170110.DCSupplemental/pnas.201303170SI.pdf
The same principle that underlies head movement compensation thus also
holds for other potential confounds, including the ones mentioned by you.

Best,
Arjen