[FieldTrip] Problem with ft_volumewrite and axis labels

Johan Wessberg johan.wessberg at gu.se
Thu Feb 16 16:27:47 CET 2017

Thanks! I erroneously assumed that the axes coordinate system was exported along with the volume data.

Regards,
Johan Wessberg

From: <fieldtrip-bounces at science.ru.nl> on behalf of "Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs)" <jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl>
Date: Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 15:09
To: FieldTrip discussion list <fieldtrip at science.ru.nl>
Subject: Re: [FieldTrip] Problem with ft_volumewrite and axis labels

Hi Johan,

ft_volumewrite does not write any information with respect to how the axes in the coordinate system need to be interpreted to the output file. In other words, it only writes the anatomical image, along with some transformation matrix that typically maps voxels to head coordinates. If the external software ‘expects’ some specific coordinate system, or if it defaults to interpreting the coordinate system along to some convention, if it cannot find the required information in the file, the mapping may or may not be correct.

In your case it seems that freeview interprets the x/y/z axes in the coordinate system (attached with the MRI-file) as RAS, whereas you expected it to be correctly interpreted as ALS (CTF-convention). You could write the volume with a RAS transformation matrix.

J.M.Schoffelen, MD PhD
Senior Researcher, VIDI-fellow
Telephone: +31-24-3614793
Physical location: room 00.028
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Nijmegen, The Netherlands