[FieldTrip] Including brain lesion - OpenMeeg

Sarang S. Dalal sarang at cfin.au.dk
Fri Dec 15 23:11:17 CET 2017

Dear Stefano,

OpenMEEG can do what you need. We wrote the function in FieldTrip that sets up the OpenMEEG parameters (fieldtrip/forward/private/leadfield_openmeeg.m) with the assumption that there would be either 3 layers (scalp, skull, brain) or 4 layers (scalp, skull, csf, brain). These layers are assumed to be nested from outside to inside, with no surfaces crossing or touching.

As Simon suggested, you probably have lesion nested within brain. So, if you don't have a CSF layer, you could use the 4-layer functionality that is already there, with the order [scalp skull brain lesion]. You will have to configure cfg.conductivity appropriately with the same order.

You may also take a look at the examples from my group where we script MRI segmentations and set up OpenMEEG computations in practice (for 3- and 4-layer nested geometries):
https://github.com/meeg-cfin/nemolab/blob/master/basics/nemo_mriproc.m
https://github.com/meeg-cfin/nemolab/blob/master/basics/nemo_makeleadfield.m

OpenMEEG will also support non-nested configurations, but you will have to adapt leadfield_openmeeg.m to get it to work with FieldTrip. You can have a look at the documentation on the OpenMEEG website for a description of how to write the parameter files for that situation.

Cheers,
Sarang