[FieldTrip] Need help with cluster-based permutation test with 3 groups of subjects

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:27:24 CEST 2017

Hello Jose,

I haven't looked closely at your code, but it sounds like this is working
exactly as intended. A significant F-test doesn't mean that there must be
significant differences between all pairs of groups; hypothetically, an
F-test comparing 100 groups could be significant even if only 99 and 100
are significantly different from each other. This isn't something specific
to the cluster-based permutation test, this is just how F-tests work in
general.

As for getting different cluster extents with the 3-level F-test vs. the
pairwise t-test, this is also normal; you're comparing different things so
it's natural that the test statistics will come out slightly different.

Best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.mypolyuweb.hk/~sjpolit/

http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/attachments/20170411/7a169976/attachment-0001.html