[FieldTrip] Maxfilter and PCA

Lorenzo Magazzini magazzinil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:48:55 CEST 2016

Hi Mike,

This is a question that I've been asking myself too and I'd love to hear an
expert (and more technical) answer. In the meantime, these discussions may
be of help:

https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-March/006270.html
https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-November/007170.html
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/why_does_my_ica_output_contain_complex_numbers?s[

I wonder if the confusion arises from the difference between rank and
number of components? My understanding is that maxfilter reduces the rank
of the data (from 306 to 64, apparently). Therefore, my best guess is that
by performing a PCA and rejecting a number of components (only the first 50
are kept, in the tutorial example), the data is no longer rank-deficient,
i.e. the rank is equal or greater than the number of components in the data.

Clearly, this is a very non-technical interpretation, and a correction
would be more than welcome.. :)

Best,
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Magazzini