[FieldTrip] Smoothing before permutation test

Ramirez Pasos, Ramirez_U at ukw.de
Wed Nov 2 18:02:00 CET 2016

Thank you David for your response! Just to be clear: by "smoothing" I'm not referring to the smoothing performed when using the ft_frequencyanalysis multitaper method, but some kind of spatial smoothing on the time-frequency matrix obtained via ft_frequencyanalysis - so that according to your suggestion, I would smooth each trial, then average trials for each subject/condition, and finally use these for statistical evaluation?  Is there a reason why smoothing each trial might be preferable to smoothing each subject's trial average?

Thank you so much in advance,
Uri