[FieldTrip] Unable to reproduce BEM headmodel - possible bug in bemcp

Simon Van Eyndhoven Simon.VanEyndhoven at esat.kuleuven.be
Wed Nov 16 14:07:22 CET 2016

Dear all,

I recently started using FieldTrip in order to simulate pseudo-realistic
EEG recordings from e.g. a set of dipoles located in the brain.
Therefore, I tried to follow the tutorial on the construction of a BEM
head model based on an anatomical MRI scan and an electrode set:
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/headmodel_eeg_bem .

The problem is that I don't succeed to reproduce the head model that is
distributed as a template in the FieldTrip toolbox:
'/template/headmodel/standard_bem.mat'. I start from the template MRI
scan in FieldTrip ('standard_mri.mat') and use the following code (taken
from the tutorial).

---
% Load MRI data and electrode setup
mri = importdata('standard_mri.mat');
elec = ft_read_sens('standard_1020.elc')

% Segment the MRI volume
cfg = [];
cfg.output = {'brain','skull','scalp'};
segmentedmri  = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);

% Create a mesh
cfg = [];
cfg.tissue = {'brain','skull','scalp'};
cfg.numvertices = [1500 1000 500];
bnd = ft_prepare_mesh(cfg,segmentedmri);

% Construct the headmodel
cfg = [];
cfg.conductivity = [0.3300 0.0041 0.3300];
cfg.method = 'dipoli';
vol = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, bnd);
---

The following error is thrown:

"Fatal error in dipoli: during computation of B-matrix;
  vertex 916 of /tmp/tp39371164882184732_1.tri touches triangle 811 of
/tmp/tp39371164882184732_2.tri"

I've tried to create meshes with different numbers of vertices (e.g. the
combination from the website tutorial 'numvertices = [3000 2000 1000]'
produces the same error): for some combinations this problem does not
occur, luckily. However, I wonder how the template model (that used the
aforementioned number of vertices) got created successfully; I want to
make sure that I work in the correct way and don't forget something.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue, or hint what might be
wrong/missing in the implementation above, compared to the template
results that are provided in the FieldTrip distribution?

Moreover, I've tried to create the head model using the 'bemcp' method
as well. As a test, I placed a dipole close to the scalp surface, near a
particular electrode. It is hence expected that the recorded amplitudes
are highest for electrodes in the vicinity of this electrode. This
effect is correctly reproduced when performing the computation of the
forward problem using the 'standard_bem.mat' head model mentioned above
(using the 'dipoli' method). By contrast, the output of the forward
problem using the bemcp-based head model shows a topographic
distribution with many positive 'peaks' and negative 'troughs', spread
kind of randomly over the scalp surface. Since neither the segmentation
step nor meshing step changed (only the final step, namely the creation
of the volume conduction model), I have no clue why this problem occurs.
I've looked around in the discussion list's archives for possible
causes:
- it is reported that the bemcp method does not behave well if the
dipole is located (very) close to the skull: I ruled this out for my
problem by varying this distance
- one user (Debora Desideri) reported a problem with the bemcp-method
that appears to be very similar to mine, but there was no reply to her
problem...
- another user (John Richards) calls for caution when using the
bemcp-method, stating that it behaves poorly sometimes

Has anyone experienced similar issues when using the 'becmp' method and
maybe found an explanation for this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

--
Simon Van Eyndhoven

PhD researcher
Stadius Center for Dynamical Systems, Signal Processing and Data
Analytics
KU Leuven, Dept. Electrical Engineering (ESAT)

email: simon.vaneyndhoven at esat.kuleuven.be