[FieldTrip] depsamplesF

Balázs Knakker bknakker at gmail.com
Mon May 16 22:22:37 CEST 2016

Dear Alex,

As far as I know, depsamplesFmultivariate corresponds to what used to be
the default option to perform a dependent samples F-test (it was called
depsamplesF), which tolerates nonsphericity when there are more than 2
levels by dealing with the question from a multivariate standpoint. But in
your case, you can also test main effects and interactions in your 2×2
design, and in that case I think these will yield identical results, and
you could as well be using T-tests (comparing averages over the other
factor for the main effects, and comparing the differences along one factor
at both levels of the other factor for the interaction, see also this
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_can_i_test_an_interaction_effect_using_cluster-based_permutation_tests
). If you would decide to disregard the factor structure of your data and
would do something like a one-way ANOVA with 4 levels, I would stick with
the MANOVA approach. I would be curious to know whether the univarate
version is recommended, apart from the case when one wants results
comparable to a conventional ANOVA F-test.

Greetings,
Balázs Knakker