[FieldTrip] About calculation of total power in TFr analysis

Pelt, S. van (Stan) stan.vanpelt at donders.ru.nl
Tue May 10 10:12:04 CEST 2016

Dear Tuna,

As far as I understand, the morlet-TFR example as used in the tutorial (http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/timefrequencyanalysis) computes total (evoked and induced) power, per trial and time bin, and then averages over trials.

To compute total power in the 1000ms epoch, I would suggest using cfg.method=’mtmfft’. E.g., something like the following, assuming that your data is organized in trials in a variable called ‘data’. BTW, note that because of your 1000ms data epoch, the intrinsic frequency resolution of your data is 1 Hz (1/1), thus spectral power below 1 Hz will be poorly estimated.

cfg=[];
cfg.toilim=[0.0 1.0]; %1000ms time window
data_ep=ft_redefinetrial(cfg,data);

cfg=[];
cfg.pad=10;
cfg.method=’mtmfft’;
cfg.outpu=’pow’;
cfg.foilim= [0.1 40];
cfg.channel = ‘all’;
data_ep_pow=ft_freqanalysis(cfg,data_ep);

Hope that helps.

Best, Stan

--
Stan van Pelt, PhD