[FieldTrip] EEG connectivity without averaging over the trials.

Gabriel Costa gcosta18 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:50:56 CEST 2016

Dear Maggie,

If I'm not mistaken, connectivity estimates can be obtained at single trial if one estimates phase correlation over time (see Cohen, 2014 Analyzing Neural Time Series).

If you are not interested in the time dimension you could just obtain a single value of coherence for each trial, estimating phase coherence over time, which you can then average over trials.
If you still want to maintain time dimension and get a time(x)-frequency(y) plot of coherence, than you should use a sliding window.

I believe this method (coherence over time) is not integrated in either Fieldtrip or EEGLAB, but it's not that difficult to implement this from the matrix with the complex fourier spectra (ft_freqanalysis with cfg.output = 'fourier').

Good luck,
Gabriel Costa

.