[FieldTrip] Artefact rejection & ICA on continuous data followed by segmentation

Blume Christine christine.blume at sbg.ac.at
Fri May 13 08:22:51 CEST 2016

Dear community,

I would like to do the following steps, however fieldtrip does not seem to like this in my case:

1.      Artefact rejection on continuous data using ft_databrowser as I do not like ft_rejectvisual’s visualization (needs to be done on continuous data as I will have overlapping segments once I segment, which is not supported by ft_databrowser). Calling ft_rejectartifact following that procedure to exclude major artefacts before ICA.

2.      ICA on cleaned continuous data, mainly to remove EOG artefacts

3.      Another round of manual/visual artefact rejection on cleaned/eog-rejected continuous data using ft_databrowser visualization (again, needs to be done on continuous data as I will have overlapping segments once I segment, which is not supported by ft_databrowser)

4.      Segmentation of cleaned data

I am experiencing problems with the artefact rejection (1) and the following segmentation (4), though. It works fine if I segment my data using ft_redefinetrial and then call ft_rejectartifact with the cfg returned from the (first) call to ft_databrowser. However, if I reject artefacts first and then try to apply ft_redefinetrial to the cleaned data, “bad” trials are not excluded.

Any ideas how to solve this are highly appreciated.

Best,
Christine