[FieldTrip] Reading BCI2000 files with stimulus codes

Stefan Maslanka SXM1170 at student.bham.ac.uk
Thu May 26 20:46:43 CEST 2016

Dear FieldTrip users,

I have recently been using the Emotiv Epoc with BCI2000 to develop a BCI. I was using BCILAB to create a model to use online but recently came across FieldTrip and its buffer. Unfortunately I am having issues reading my BCI2000 files and processing based on stimulation time points.

The BCI2000 '.dat' files are saved with an event field called 'StimulusCode' with values relating to a left or right arrow (1 or 2) and a fixation cross (5). This is clearly seen when loading the header, each samples code is stored in 'hdr.orig.states.StimulusCode'. However when loading the events FieldTrip does not detect these stimulus codes, only listing the 5's for the rest condition, the values of 1 and 2 are not picked up.

Is this a known .dat or BCI2000 issue? I was hoping to create a simple model and train a classifier to use in an online environment.

Thank you for your time,

Stefan