[FieldTrip] BEMCP

Debora Desideri deb.desideri at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:46:36 CET 2016

Dear Vladimir,
thanks for your explanation. I tryed to use the option cfg.moveinward in
ft_prepare_sourcemodel ( I set it to 6 mm,, with inwardshift = 0), but this
did not solve the issue. As you can see from the attachment the cortex is
now partially uncovered. I am not sure I am using this option properly,
maybe there is a combination of values for cfg.moveinward and
cfg.inwardshift that works fine. I tryed several, but none of them gave me
the source localization that I expect.
I don't know whether the fact that some dipoles fall outside the brain
matters. For the attached figures I had no dipoles outside the brain,
whilst for some of the others attempts I had.

I actually found this post on the mailinglist where both you and John
already pointed out this issue using BEM:

http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2015-November/009783.html

Also I don't know whether this link (still under construction/discussion)
may be of interest in this contex:

http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/is_it_good_or_bad_to_have_dipole_locations_outside_of_the_brain_for_which_the_source_reconstruction_is_computed

Furthermore, this other page (also under construction), uses the option
cfg.inwardshift for the template grid to be used in the creation of the
individual subject's grid, but without an explanation of why the option
is/should be used:

http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/sourcemodel#subject-specific_grids_that_are_equivalent_across_subjects_in_normalized_space

In ft_prepare_sourcemodel I am using the standard grid (6 mm resolution)
provided by Fiedltrip, I don't know whether craeting my own template_grid
using the cfg.inwardshift option would actually fix the problem. I would
like to perform some further attempts, as soon as I have some time to go
through the function and understand how this options actually interplay.

Meanwhile, I am still working on producing the results using the FEM head
model. It is much more time-consuming than the BEM, and maybe that's one of
the reasons to choose BEM models. As soon as they are ready I will post
them as well :)

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. It was actually quite useful and
instructive!

All the best wishes,
Debora