[FieldTrip] Moving window peak-to-peak artifact correction

Max Cantor Max.Cantor at Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 9 21:49:48 CET 2016

Hi fieldtrippers,

ERPlab has a method of artifact detection which, within an epoch, will take
a moving window of a defined size, measure peak-to-peak amplitude
difference, and reject the trial based on a defined threshold.

http://erpinfo.org/erplab/erplab-documentation/manual_4/Artifact_Detection.html

I would like to implement a similar method in fieldtrip, but the closest I
can find is ft_artifact_threshold. As I understand it, the range or min-max
is the peak-to-peak amplitude difference, but as best as I can tell there
is no way to do this over a moving window, only across the whole trial.

Is there a way to implement this in fieldtrip?

On a related note, why is it that (nearly) all of the fieldtrip artifact
rejection methods require the .trl matrix, even with epoched data? Is there
a specific reason why artifacts can't just be rejected by trial, besides
the fact that allowing for rejection by .trl matrices allows for partial
trial rejection? That would be a reasonable explanation, but there have
been times where, for various reasons, having to reject by the .trl matrix
has created complications (usually due to lack of foresight on my part, but
nonetheless frustrating).

Thanks,
Max

--