[FieldTrip] ft_volumereslice shifts the brain

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Mar 25 10:18:30 CET 2016

Hi Jens,

If not instructed otherwise, ft_volumereslice attempts to realign the ‘box-with-anatomical-data’ in such a way that the origin of the coordinate system (as specified in the .transform of the input image) is in the centre of the volume. In your image it seems that the origin is in the posterior commissure, which does not leave sufficient space toward the nose to fit the whole head. Had your origin been in the anterior commissure instead, 128 1mm voxels towards the front would probably have been sufficient to include the nose. You can specify a bounding box in the cfg to get the origin off-center. Otherwise (and I suspect that this was your intention from the start) you should first realign your input image to a proper AC-origin based coordinate system, and put the origin where it should be according to convention. This can of course be achieved with ft_volumerealign.
With respect to the documentation, could you give a suggestion for a revised chunk of text which is more clear in your view?