[FieldTrip] What does minimum-norm estimate tell me + correlation in the source space

Harold Cavendish harold.cav89 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:20:16 CET 2016

Dear Runnan,

I'd be happy to help, but sadly, I have no experience with FreeSurfer and
skipped that portion of the tutorial entirely (instead, I used files from
fieldtrip/template).

However, using just common sense, I believe there's an error in the
tutorial because orig-nomask.mgz is mentioned for the first time where you
need to load it but it isn't present in any of the outputs or in the
Subject01 directory. I believe it's just a renamed copy of orig.mgz which
is created as explained in the tutorial.

As far as I understand, you take an anatomical MRI image (e.g.
Subject01.mri), use FT to do some preprocessing and get Subject01.mgz (a
FreeSurfer-compatible format), then do some segmentation and get
Subject01masked.mgz, then do some conversion in FreeSurfer and transform
those two into orig.mgz and brainmask.mgz respectively, and to make it even
more convoluted, some filled.mgz pops up as well. To be honest, I don't
follow… I have zero experience with FreeSurfer as well as MRI/fMRI analysis.

*Briefly, try using orig.mgz instead of orig-nomask.mgz whenever you need
to use ft_read_mri('orig-nomask.mgz'). If it doesn't do the job, hopefully
someone else will come to the rescue.*

Best regards,
Harold