[FieldTrip] BEMCP

Vladimir Litvak litvak.vladimir at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:14:40 CET 2016

Dear Debora,

The critical thing with BEMCP is that your sources are not too close to the
inner skull boundary. When they are closer than the safe distance the
solution you get is completely wrong. When they are not too close, the
solution is OK and comparable at least to concentric spheres. The safe
distance is is more or less the average edge length in your  skull mesh. In
SPM meshes this is 6 mm. In ft_prepare_sourcemodel there is an option
cfg.moveinward that corrects the mesh to ensure that it is not too close.
It would be interesting if you use this option and report whether this
resolves your problem.

This issue should occur in any BEM but depending on the implementation the
critical distance might be shorter.

Best,

Vladimir