[FieldTrip] What does minimum-norm estimate tell me + correlation in the source space

Harold Cavendish harold.cav89 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:40:56 CET 2016

Dear FieldTrip users,

I have a few questions regarding source localisation and statistics:

1. Suppose I'm doing source reconstruction of ERP using minimum-norm
estimate; one condition, multiple subjects. I'm using ft_sourceanalysis()
and getting rather meaningful results which I visualise via ft_plot_mesh().

What is the validity of this result? I understand there are many individual
dipoles spread over the cortical sheet and we're estimating best fit to the
data given the conductance model while minimising overall power, but what
does this actually tell us? If I find an area with higher power, what
conclusions can I draw?

2. Can I compute a correlation between the result in the source space and a
behavioural variable? Perhaps even specify a region of interest? If yes, is
this approach considered to be valid?

I want to see if e.g. the power of the reconstructed activity in the source
space averaged over a time window correlates with my behavioural variable.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Harold