[FieldTrip] Importing B-Alert X10 data

Robin Kramer kramerrobin92 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:03:15 CEST 2016

​
 000222000.010616.103900.Events.edf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4UCcTb4Xh26ZU85WUF4aHJFdms/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 000222000.010616.103900.Signals.Raw.edf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4UCcTb4Xh26N3BPQWFKRTIwSGM/view?usp=drive_web>
​Hello,

Recently we started a research with a new wearable EEG system called the
B-Alert X-10 from Advanced Brain Monitoring. ABM does deliver their own
analyzing software and it is compatible with EEGLab but not with Fieldtrip.
Has anyone attempted to analyze the B-Alert data via FieldTrip already?

The way data is stored is rather odd actually. The data is epoched in every
second, with 256 samples (Fs = 256) in each epoch for each channel. In
other words, there are as much separate trials as there are seconds. After
preprocessing, and some manual labour I could rearrange the epochs and make
the data continuous, but then I encountered two challenges.

First, the event markers are stored in a different EDF file. Therefore, I
have to define my own trial function, but the event-marker data is also
stored rather oddly.
Second, it seems that fieldtrip cannot segment any data after preprocessing
with ft_definetrials(). Sadly, before preprocessing the B-Alert data is in
the strange format. Is there a workaround? I have send a link with the two
EDF files, in case one would like to inspect them themselves.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Robin Kramer
Student MSc Human-Machine Communication
University of Groningen, the Netherlands