[FieldTrip] Theoretical question about cluster-based permutation tests

Anne Mickan amickan1990 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:43:40 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I have a theoretical question about cluster-based permutation tests. I've
been reading through the website and through Maris & Oostenveld (2007) and
I watched the video, all of which left me with the feeling I have a good
understanding of *what* the permutation tests is doing (I've also
implemented it successfully for my own data).

However, I don't yet entirely understand how this test statistic avoids the
multiple comparison problem. Particularly I'm wondering how it is that all
the tests done initially on a sample-by-sample-basis (step 1 as described
in Maris & Oostenveld, p. 180) and the threshold that is used to select
samples for clustering (step 2) does not affect the FA. It is referred to a
later section, which, however, does not clear it up for me. So I was hoping
to get another explanation to fully understand this issue.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Anne