[FieldTrip] help diagnosing issues with source analysis (pathological brain)

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jun 14 09:31:34 CEST 2016

Hi Vitória,

To me it looks as if most of the stuff you describe works as expected, i.e. it works well or it gives funny results, apart from the non-linear normalisation. The extremely distorted warped grid points may be due to the patient’s anatomical being pathological, causing the normalisation to converge to a very strange solution.

Now, with respect to the plotting/interpolation: if the coordinate systems of the objects you are overlaying don’t match, you get funny results. This is the case for the sourceplot with the surface method (where the default cortical surface is in MNI-RAS), and your functional image is in CTF’s ALS, as well as for the sourceplot with the ortho method, using the blurry template from SPM (which is also in MNI-RAS). If you want these to match up, you could replace the source positions in your functional image with the ones from the standard grid, because you assume topological equivalence as per the inverse warping strategy applied in the creation of the beamformer grid.

So, long story short: it seems that your source analysis just went fine, but you are confused by the different coordinate systems.

Best,
JM