[FieldTrip] LCMV time window

Sarang S. Dalal sarang at cfin.au.dk
Thu Jun 2 12:05:56 CEST 2016

Dear Jim,

Indeed, 3 samples is much too few for constructing the beamformer filter —as you guessed, this results in a poor covariance estimate that is furthermore low-rank and therefore difficult to reliably invert.

But, it is no matter, as you can construct the filter with your complete trial (perhaps 100ms as a minimum length), but examine the resulting time series (source.avg.mom) for whichever shorter intervals you are interested in.

If you are not contrasting conditions, you may consider applying:
cfg.lcmv.weightnorm   = 'nai’;

For reference, our group typically uses the following additional options for such data:
cfg.lcmv.reducerank   = 'no';
cfg.lcmv.fixedori     = 'yes’;
cfg.lcmv.projectnoise = 'yes';

It is so far undocumented, but our plotting tools in fieldtrip/contrib/nutmegtrip could help navigating the resulting source time series (in your path you’ll need: a full copy of SPM8, fieldtrip/contrib/nutmegtrip , and fieldtrip/template/atlas/aal )
cfg=[];
cfg.mripath = ‘yourmri.nii’; % or template MRI if voxel grid is in MNI space
cfg.funparameter = 'avg.mom';
cfg.atlas = ft_read_atlas('ROI_MNI_V4.nii'); % AAL atlas (optional)
nmt_sourceplot_spm8(cfg,ft_convert_units(source,'mm'));

Cheers,
Sarang