[FieldTrip] Kurtosis topography at channel level

Frank Neugebauer f.neugebauer at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jul 21 10:48:36 CEST 2016

Hi Rui,

*Question 1:* why and how does the filter affect the kurtosis?

As kurtosis is not linear, that is kurtosis(data+noise)=/=kurtosis(data)+kurtosis(noise), it is a little hard to say how exactly changing your data will change the output kurtosis.
If you filter Gaussian noise the signal should form stronger outlier and thus the data should yield higher kurtosis.
As far as I understand kurtosis, the frequency itself does not directly influence the kurtosis output.

*Question 2:* Why the kurtosis topographies at channel level from two
> dataset case1.ds (figure 1 (no filter), figure 2 (filtered)) and
> case1_cHPI_raw_trans_sss.fif (figure 3 (no filter) and figure 4 (filtered))
> are not consistent? Because these two datasets are measured from the same
> patient, the kurtosis topography should be consistent. Do you have any idea
> about this?

As far as I understand, epileptic activity is hard to measure because you don't know when it will occur and different measurements are not inconsistent, but just show different activity at a different time and circumstance (such as different sensor noise, interference, but also the patient's condition).
In the introduction to the case they say,
>> Corticography also showed interictal discharges in the frontal lobe, though seizures were of parietal origin. <<. Maybe this is the explanation? The kurtosis points to the frontal lobe, too.

I hope this was a little helpful,
best regards,
Frank