[FieldTrip] 3x2 ANOVA using permutation tests?

Stephen Politzer-Ahles stephen.politzer-ahles at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 11:16:06 CEST 2016

Hi Anne,

I agree with Tineke. The best thing, I think, would be to calculate the
difference waves for each individual (essentially turning it into a
1-condition design with 3 groups) and then use indepsamplesT to compare the
three groups; this is conceptually the same as testing the group*condition
interaction; see
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_can_i_test_an_interaction_effect_using_cluster-based_permutation_tests.
I guess you could also test the main effect of group (by using the two
conditions' data and treating all subjects together as if they're one
group, to compare the two conditions across all subjects) or the main
effect of group (by getting the average, rather than the difference, of the
two conditions for each subject, and then comparing that across the three
groups), but I guess based on your design that the group*condition
interaction is probably the thing of primary interest.

best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Oxford
Language and Brain Lab
Faculty of Linguistics, Phonetics & Philology
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~cpgl0080/