[FieldTrip] PhD/postdoc positions at Ernst Strüngmann Institute for Neuroscience

Martin Vinck martinvinck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:04:10 CEST 2016

Our laboratory at the Ernst Strüngmann Institute for Neuroscience in
Cooperation with Max Planck Society is seeking candidates for Postdoc and
Ph.D. positions.

Projects involve the application of parallel, large-scale
electrophysiological recording techniques of single units and EEG in
combination with closed-loop optogenetic manipulation methods to
investigate mechanisms of information encoding and transmission in mice
brains. We are particularly interested in the way in which the brain
efficiently encodes information, and the way in which sensory predictions
established in higher areas influence sensory representations in earlier
sensory areas. We are furthermore interested in investigating the role of
GABAergic interneurons in selective attention and neuronal oscillations. We
address these questions using laminar recordings in combination with
optogenetics in mice, as well as through the development of novel tools for
the quantitative analysis of large-scale electrophysiological data. Within
the ESI, tight collaborations exist with the lab of Prof. Dr. Pascal Fries.

Because we are searching for members that can strengthen an
interdisciplinary team, we are encouraging students/researchers with a
background either in biological/medical sciences or in
physics/engineering/mathematics/etc. to apply. The ideal PhD or postdoc
candidate has previous experience and strengths either in 1) performing
hands-on experimental work and electrophysiological recordings or 2)
hardware engineering and quantitative analysis of large-scale data. We are
searching for applicants with good communication skills and a high
commitment and curiosity about neuroscientific questions.

Interested candidates are invited to send their application materials in
electronic form (PDF format) to martin.vinck at esi-frankfurt.de

Applications should contain a letter of intent, a detailed curriculum
vitae, lists of university courses completed with marks obtained (only for
PhD candidates), and the names of at least two scientists who can give
references. The advertisement will be valid until positions are filled.

Dr. Martin Vinck
martin.vinck at esi-frankfurt.de
Research Group Leader
Ernst Strüngmann Institute (ESI) for Neuroscience in Cooperation with Max
Planck Society
Deutschordenstr. 46, D-60528
Frankfurt am Main, Germany