[FieldTrip] Help understanding the lcmv beamformer output

Lorenzo Magazzini lorenzomagazzini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:44:26 CET 2016

Hi Philipp,

Thanks so much for your answer, it does indeed solve the problem!

I thought the covariance matrix was no longer necessary after computation
of the (common) filter, but, as you showed by pointing to the code, this is
clearly not the case.

Now, I compared the results of
a) calculating power from the virtual sensors time-series (data multiplied
by the filter, estimated using the 'common' covariance), and
b) power taken from the output of ft_sourceanalysis, using two different
'condition-specific' covariance matrices.
Results are pretty identical in my case, apart from minor differences in
the power values.

I wonder if anyone could help me figure out if there is a mathematical
difference between these two approaches?

Anyway, many thanks again for your help!

Best wishes,

Lorenzo