[FieldTrip] clarification on beam forming evoked fields in MEG

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jan 4 10:27:31 CET 2016

Hi Russ,

The units that are used by FieldTrip in data processing are not always consistent. The problem already starts at the level of reading (where we sometimes use our own FT code, and sometimes code from other projects). MEG data might be represented in T or fT, but for Eleka there are also gradiometers that have their data expressed as T/m or fT/cm or T/mm or … Then the anatomical MRi is read in, coregistered and used to construct a volume conduction model. In that volume conduction model there is again geometrical units (m, cm, mm) but also units of conductivity.

You can imagine that combining data (in algorithms) that has different units will lead to unexpected results. Hence I usually play it safe and report on the results of computations as “arbitrary units”. Mostly in statistics and interpretation it does not matter anyway.

If you use SI units throughout, then the low-level FieldTrip code will work as expected and also represent the output of all computations in SI units. For anatomical models you can use ft_convert_units to scale it to meters. For electrode and gradiometer arrays you should use the distance and amplitude option in ft_datatype_sens (see the code, it is not mentioned in the help) and for Elekta the scaling should be specified as ‘amplitude/distance’.

The unit handling is a known issue and we have a number of ideas on http://bugzilla.fieldtriptoolbox.org to improve it, but to little resources to actually get it resolved.

best regards,
Robert

PS Note that for spectral analysis it is again different, since spectral power or density can be differently normalized. Also in that aspect the FT code is not 100% consistent. But since you mention ERFs that does not apply.