[FieldTrip] Input data MEG convention

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Feb 17 12:47:47 CET 2016

Hi Antonietta,

I would assume that you refer to ‘handedness’ in the context of a coordinate system.
You can find out its handedness by making a x/y/z axis system with you thumb/index finger/middle finger, and then check whether the ‘meaning’ of those axes correspond to what you see when using your right hand or your left hand.

Example: if you know that your x/y/z axes mean ‘right’,’anterior’,’superior’, you’ll notice that this is a right handed coordinate system, because when your right thumb is pointing to the right and your right index finger is pointing forward, the middle finger is pointing upward (pun not intended).

when your x/y/z axes mean ‘left’,’posterior’,’inferior’, you’ll notice that you need your left hand to describe it correctly, hence it’s a left-handed coordinate system.