[FieldTrip] error with Computing cross-correlations between spike trains tutorial

Valentina Mione valentina.mione at uniroma1.it
Fri Feb 19 18:17:50 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

I am Valentina and I am a fresh new FieldTrip user.

I was following the tutorial http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/spike,
in particular the cross correlation part with the example data
ftp://ftp.fieldtriptoolbox.org/pub/fieldtrip/tutorial/spike/p029_sort_final_01.nex,
but I'm stuck with a MatLab error.

I loaded the data exactly how it's explained and I defined the channels and
the trials (just copying the matlab instructions) and all worked fine.

Then I followed this part of the tutorial:

 *and then compute the cross-correlogram (and the shift-predictor
cross-correlogram) by*

cfg             = [];
cfg.maxlag      = 0.2; % maximum 200 ms
cfg.binsize     = 0.001; % bins of 1 ms
cfg.outputunit  = 'proportion'; % make unit area
cfg.latency     = [-2.5 0];
cfg.vartriallen = 'no'; % do not allow variable trial lengths
cfg.method      = 'xcorr'; % compute the normal cross-correlogram
Xc = ft_spike_xcorr(cfg,spikeTrials);

But after processing all the 600 trials the ft_spike_xcorr function
interrupts working with the error:

"*??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals.*

*Error in ==> ft_spike_xcorr at 350*

*stat.label       = spike.label(chansel);*"

Trying to understand the error I set I breakpoint on the 350 line of the
script and I got  another error in ft_checkconfig.m

"*??? Error using ==> ft_checkconfig at 208*

*The field cfg.progress is not allowed*

*Error in ==> ft_spike_xcorr at 126*

*cfg = ft_checkconfig(cfg, 'allowed', {'latency', 'trials',*

*'keeptrials', 'method', 'channelcmb', 'vartriallen', 'debias',*

*'maxlag', 'binsize', 'outputunit'});*"

I hope someone can help me because I really can't understand what's wrong
(I feel there is a problem with the selection of the channels maybe) and I
just followed the instructions.

Best,

Valentina