[FieldTrip] Clarification on plotting WPLI

Prasandhya Astagiri Yusuf prasandhya.a.yusuf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:04:25 CET 2016

Hi Peter,
sorry for the (very) late response, I guess you have already figured the
answer by now. Anyhow, in case someone has similar problem, I try to share
my experience here in the forum.

I recently computed the debiased WPLI and experienced the same problem. I
also found this negative value of debiased WPLI quite frequently asked in
this mailing list, even Mr. Martin Vinck himself has already responded to
it on June 2011.
So as stated in the paper (Vinck et al. 2011), PLI and WPLI result has the
range from 0 to 1. But the debiased WPLI could yields negative values as a
consequence of debiasing method. One of his latest paper (Phillips, 2014),
they  mentioned in the Materials and Methods that "the debiased WPLI
estimator (Vinck et al. 2011), ranging from zero (*negative values can
incidentally occur because of limited sampling*) to one (maximum
coherence)".
So in my opinion, we can neglect this negative values and convert them to
zeros. But surely, we should not take the absolute value from it.

Best,
Sandhy

Prasandhya A. Yusuf

*Medizinische Hochschule Hannover*