[FieldTrip] Define Trial Error with Tutorial Data

Ahmed, Farah fah at med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 4 19:17:23 CET 2016

Hi Everyone,

I am student new to FieldTrip and have been going through the tutorials. I am trying to run the ft_definetrial function on the sample data Subject01 from this tutorial page http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/preprocessing

This is the script I'm using (same as the one on the tutorial page)

cfg                         = [];
  cfg.dataset                 = 'Subject01.ds';
  cfg.trialfun                = 'ft_trialfun_general'; % this is the default
  cfg.trialdef.eventtype      = 'backpanel trigger';
  cfg.trialdef.eventvalue     = 3; % the value of the stimulus trigger for fully incongruent (FIC).
  cfg.trialdef.prestim        = 1; % in seconds
  cfg.trialdef.poststim       = 2; % in seconds

  cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

After running that I get these errors:

evaluating trialfunction 'ft_trialfun_general'
Error using ft_read_header (line 2102)
unsupported header format (unknown)

Error in ft_trialfun_general (line 78)
hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat', cfg.headerformat);

Error in ft_definetrial (line 174)
    [trl, event] = feval(cfg.trialfun, cfg);

Could someone help guide me as to what I'm doing wrong or missing? Any assistance on solving this is appreciated!

Thanks!

Best,

Farah Ahmed
University of Michigan