[FieldTrip] Circular Correlation coefficient

Julian Keil julian.keil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 12:51:37 CET 2016

Dear David,

I won't discuss whether this is a sensible comment by the reviewer, but here are some basic steps that you could take.

To compute the circular correlation between two signals, you obviously need to obtain the phase angles first.
One option to do this is to use a Hilbert transform on band-pass filtered data (on a single-trial level)
As soon as you have your single trial phase angles, you can compute the correlation between two signals within each subject.
Once you have done this, you could see whether there is a consistent pattern over subjects.

You can find similar approaches in the following papers:

van Elswijk, G., Maij, F., Schoffelen, J.-M., Overeem, S., Stegeman, D. F., & Fries, P. (2010). Corticospinal Beta-Band Synchronization Entails Rhythmic Gain Modulation. Journal of Neuroscience, 30(12), 4481–4488. http://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2794-09.2010

Keil, J., Timm, J., SanMiguel, I., Schulz, H., Obleser, J., & Schonwiesner, M. (2014). Cortical brain states and corticospinal synchronization influence TMS-evoked motor potentials. Journal of Neurophysiology, 111(3), 513–519. http://doi.org/10.1152/jn.00387.2013

Good luck,

Julian