[FieldTrip] Best EEG electrode positioning system?

Jörn M. Horschig jorn at artinis.com
Tue Aug 30 09:02:09 CEST 2016

Hi Markus,

The fastest digitization method I saw up to date is this one:

http://www.brainproducts.com/productdetails.php?id=60 - I hope no one from my company sees this mail ;)

However it only works with the BrainProducts Acticap and is quite pricy. Commercially, there are two types of product available. One type are devices similar to Zebris, that would be e.g. xensor from ANT, EEG Pinpoint from Localite and BrainProduct should also have one. They are usually in the price range of around 15k€ and imho a big overkill if you are just interested in localizing the electrodes. They all work with using an (infrared) camera to track the position of a pin pointing device. Their actual use for realtime neuronavigation with TMS, but they can be utilized also for stationary, one-time tracking of electrode positions. A cheaper option are the Polhemus devices, where the Patriot is the cheapest one (but still with a relatively good accuracy) of 1.5mm RMS at a sampling rate of 60Hz (yes, we also sell these with our devices, that’s why I know). Polhemus works with creating an electromagnetic field and measuring the position of a sensor within this field. The disadvantage with the Polhemus devices is that there is no proprietary software for electrode digitization. We built our own integration in our software, which is possible because Polhemus makes an SDK available (but we are a NIRS company, so no option for you). There are also some Matlab codes flying around the world wide web for EEG digitization. All in all, they are however not extremely user friendly and/or stable (imho, but I might have high standards). Despite the differences in the technique (camera vs. electromagnetic field), price and software, both require the same amount of manual labour: ticking each electrode manually and continuing to the next one. Only the BrainProducts solution mentioned above works differently. There are several other ideas and papers out there, but nothing that is commercially available in a package.

Btw, I just googled, EGI has a similar system as ANT, Localite and Brain Products: https://www.egi.com/clinical-division/clinical-division-clinical-products/ges-400-series

I have no experience with this and never saw it in action. But, all companies should be willing to come over to give you a demo of their device (we would, but again, wrong modality). So, just drop them a mail stating your problem (and available budget!) and they will contact you and most likely suggest a demo (otherwise, ask them).

I hope this helps!

Best,

Jörn

--
Jörn M. Horschig, PhD, Software Engineer & Project Leader NeuroGuard XS
 <http://www.artinis.com/> Artinis Medical Systems  |  +31 481 350 980