[FieldTrip] Which units are used for the "dippos" argument in ft_compute_leadfield and friends?

Andreja Kostić andrejakosticln at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:37:34 CEST 2016

Hello everyone!

Background:
I'm using ft_dipolesimulation to generate a simulated EEG from dipoles in
specific locations inside of a brain. I'm using a BEM volume conduction
model made with dipoli. Since I want specific locations inside of the
brain, I need a way to specify where they actually are.

Problem:
Going through the ft_dipolesimulation, I was unable to find an explanation
about which units I'm supposed to use. I do see that the position argument
is passed on to ft_compute_leadfield. Going through the
ft_compute_leadfield, I see that, in my specific case, the position will be
passed onto eeg_leadfieldb, which then passes it on to inf_medium_leadfield
which does the actual calculation.

However, when I was reading inf_medium_leadfield, I couldn't figure out
which units are being used there.

Since ft_compute_leadfield seems to be commonly used function, I was
wondering if anyone could tell me which measurement units are used for the
dippos argument in it.

All the best,
Andreja Kostić